Announcing Word uTIlities 2.0

Well, it’s been two years since the last version of the Word uTIlities was released. Note: that means no new versions released to the adoring public constituency (all ten of you J) but not, by any means, no programming being done on my side: Considering the amount of code, I have almost doubled the work done for the first versions. But now the Word uTIlities are being released in an update that represents such a reworking of much of the core of the tools that I have decided it is time to increment the main version. So welcome to Word uTIlities 2.0!

What’s new in the Word uTIlities?

Word 2016 compatible

First up, all the tools have been tested and work with Word 2016, 32-bit and 64-bit.

New dialogs

Thanks to code posted by Dean Kinnear, I was able to capitalise on changes to Word 2013 to give users of Word 2013 and 2016 better message boxes. So if you are using Word 2013/2016, some of your dialog boxes will look like this:

image1

Instead of like this:

image2

They might even look like that in Word 2007 and Word 2010, depending on some system settings, as I have tried to keep things consistent across versions.

New reports

The reporting tools have been totally redone. Three reports are generated at present: The style summary, the list of bookmarks, and the list of index entries. In fact, the three separate reporting tools have now been replaced with one central tool that generates consistent reports for all three functions (and will allow me to easily add to the list of reports in the future). Now users are presented with a choice of whether they want the report in Excel or Word. The information-gathering process for the reports has also been streamlined for faster reports, although the report generation is a bit slower initially because the program first checks to see if it can connect to Excel. Once it knows what to do, though, the final report is also generated quicker than in previous versions.

Improved Backup

Even though it was working well, I have totally rebuilt the Backup tool. It is not only faster, but also now no longer needs to close and reopen the document when the backup is being made. The tool also now searches for existing backups and can then automatically determine how to name successive backups. What this means is that when you do your first backup on any given day, the process will be just as normal. If you make the second backup, it will, as in previous versions, ask you whether you want to make an alphabetic-suffix or time-stamp suffix second backup. However, what is new is that from there, it will find those backups, and will then automatically continue with your choice. So if you make a third backup on the same day, then it will automatically use the next in the sequence of the same suffix (alphabetic or time stamp). Therefore, making multiple backups on the same day will be much simpler. It also does a lot of other background stuff, like checking the amount of disk space for the backup file, etc.

I still have more plans for this tool, but that will come in a later update.

Document Statistics

Okay, I really didn’t do much here (i.e., nothing, really). This is a Microsoft Word tool (not mine at all), but it is useful in certain contexts, and it is so deeply hidden that I thought it deserves a little more attention. So all this tool does is open the Word Document Statistics summary.

Style Summary

Thanks to a very insightful collaboration with Howard Silcock in 2014 (Thanks, Howard!), I was able to squeeze a bit more out of this tool in terms of overall speed and functionality. Not much, but generating a style summary is such a laborious process that I felt every bit helps. I also have things that I want to try with this, as I really believe that it can be improved a lot, but I will need to do a lot of learning before I get there.

Numbered equation

Changes Microsoft made to Word 2013 document formats meant that this tool was not well behaved with Word 2013 any more, nor with Word 2016. But that has been fixed. I have had to sacrifice the centred equation (which you still get in Word 2010 and Word 2007), but there really is not much that I can do about it without Microsoft making an about turn on the changes they have made to the document format, which I consider unlikely.

Change Revision authors

Some tweaks to work around idiosyncrasies in Word document structure that caused an error.

Change Comment authors

In a moment of weakness, I forgot that when an input box gets cancelled, it takes a blank string as its argument, which meant that when you open the Change comment authors tool, and cancel it, all your comment authors get removed regardless. This is probably not what should be happening, so I changed the functioning of the tool so that cancelling the dialog, or emptying the input box and clicking on OK, will result in nothing being done. To change the comment authors, enter the new name and click on OK (as in previous versions). To remove the authors completely, enter DELETE in the input box (which is also now the default when the tool is launched).

Fit Hyperlink

Some minor tweaks to improve how it works when used inside a table. Still not perfect, but I’m getting closer….

And what’s in store

I am working on two new tools which I think are really great. These will be released as versions 2.1 (and possibly 2.2). I will give you a hint as to what’s in store. Think revisions and think dates…. Once again, the impossible will be made possible right here.

I also have a number of other things that I would like to include, but it takes time…. I will, of course, post about them here when I eventually get them done.

So, without further ado, go take a look!

Share